Make this spooky and snakey bread calzone for Halloween!
For the filling:
1 tablespoon of water
1/2 tablespoon of Italian seasoning
1 package of sliced pepperoni (4 oz)
1/4 grated of parmesan cheese
2 cups of shredded mozzarella cheese
1 cup of ricotta cheese
For the dough:
3 cups of all purpose flour
1 1/2 teaspoons of salt
2 tablespoon of Simple Foods Avocado Oil
1 package of active dry yeast (.25 oz)
1 cup of warm water
1 teaspoon of sugar
1. Dissolve the sugar in warm water in a bowl of a stand mixer. Use a dough hook. Sprinkle the yeast over the water, and let it stand for 5 minutes until the yeast softens and starts to form a creamy foam. Mix in 2 cups of flour, salt, and the Simple Foods Avocado Oil. Stir on low until the mixture forms a wet dough. With the mixer running, add the rest of the flour, slowly, 1/4 cup at a time, and knead until the dough pulls away from the sides of the bowl into a ball. Knead until the dough is smooth and elastic for about 3 to 5 more minutes.
2. Oil a large bowl and place the dough in the bowl turning it to coat it with Simple Foods Avocado Oil. Cover with a towel and let it rise for around 1 hour until it doubles in size.
3. In a large bowl, combine the pepperoni with the three cheeses. You may also add any toppings of your choice (for example, mushrooms, bell pepper, olives, etc.). Set aside.
4. Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F and line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
5. Punch the dough down and roll it into a long, flat strip around 30 inches long by 9 inches wide. Place the filling throughout the center of the dough strip, leaving around 1 inch on all sides for sealing. Pull the edges of the dough together and pinch them to seal forming a long, filled roll. Place the roll seam-side down on the parchment paper in a snake "S" shape. Tuck the ends underneath to seal it. Mix the egg in a bowl with 1 tablespoon of water and brush the egg wash over the calzone.
6. Bake the calzone in the preheated oven until it is golden brown, for about 30 to 35 minutes, and let it cool for 5 minutes before cutting it into individual slices.